SubjectRe: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel
In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980831120601.287A-100000@localhost>, Tomasz Rola
writ
es:
+-----
| Well, it's some other form of IPC. But I like the concept of virtual
| punched cards and tapes. If those virtual machines were implemented
| today, it would be much the same, with files or some other virtual
| devices, perhaps. It would be also interesting to extend it a little and
+--->8

And what else are sockets, once connected, but virtual files? RSCS was
appropriate for "big iron" based on punched cards; sockets serve much the
same purpose for systems based on byte streams.

If you're serious about virtual kernels, you might want to drop a line to
the Freedows folks: they're trying to do the same thing, and need help to
pull it off.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.056 / U:32.472 seconds]