SubjectRe: Legal Issues with UDI ( was Re: [Fwd: Uniform Driver Interface (UDI)] )
Alex Belits wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:
> > While the previous comments below deal with the technical issues of
> > performance of UDI drivers, this comment deals mainly with the
> > Licensing Issues.
> >
> > 1. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with non-GNU GPL'ed
> > drivers?
> Linux is already "non-GNU" as "not originated or maintained by GNU/FSF",
> and the whole point of GPL is to allow all kinds of combinations of GPL'ed
> source despite of its origins.

I need to clarify something here. While attending this year's Linux Expo
I had the oppurtunity to talk with Richard Stallman (RMS) for around two
Richard repeatedly corrected me when it came to my saying GPL. RMS
time and time again that GPL stands for General Public License, you have
have the GNU with it. Therefore, when I used "GNU GPL'ed OS" I did not
to indicate that Linux was "originated or maintained by GNU/FSF", I was
the correct terminology according to RMS.

I will not even touch the issues that RMS brought up at the Linux Expo
in the forum chat with Eric Raymond, Bruce Perens (spelling), and RMS.

<major snip>

> --
> Alex

Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)
"We do not write software, we compose it."

When the toast is burnt
and all the milk has turned
and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
when the Big One finds you