    SubjectRe: Legal Issues with UDI ( was Re: [Fwd: Uniform Driver Interface (UDI)] )
    Alex Belits wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:
    > > While the previous comments below deal with the technical issues of
    > > performance of UDI drivers, this comment deals mainly with the
    > > Licensing Issues.
    > >
    > > 1. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with non-GNU GPL'ed
    > > drivers?
    > Linux is already "non-GNU" as "not originated or maintained by GNU/FSF",
    > and the whole point of GPL is to allow all kinds of combinations of GPL'ed
    > source despite of its origins.

    I need to clarify something here. While attending this year's Linux Expo
    I had the oppurtunity to talk with Richard Stallman (RMS) for around two
    Richard repeatedly corrected me when it came to my saying GPL. RMS
    time and time again that GPL stands for General Public License, you have
    have the GNU with it. Therefore, when I used "GNU GPL'ed OS" I did not
    to indicate that Linux was "originated or maintained by GNU/FSF", I was
    the correct terminology according to RMS.

    I will not even touch the issues that RMS brought up at the Linux Expo
    in the forum chat with Eric Raymond, Bruce Perens (spelling), and RMS.

    <major snip>

    > --
    > Alex

    Terry L. Ridder
    Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)
    "We do not write software, we compose it."

    When the toast is burnt
    and all the milk has turned
    and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
    when the Big One finds you
    may this song remind you that they
    don't serve breakfast in hell

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:16.136 seconds]