SubjectRe: MTRR fix
Tom Eastep writes:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Ahh, that looks like a real bug, but the fix should be rather simple.
> >
> > Does it work for you if you move the smp_begin() call in init/main.c up
> > above the call to setup(0)?
> Yes -- 2.1.120pre3 + console patches + move call to smp_begin() booted
> successfully.

Yes, that's exactly the behaviour I'd expect. While I don't have a
problem with moving the smp_begin(), I still think my MTRR patch
should be applied. Apart from cleaning up the init and MTRR code
anyway, the queue is a useful safety net. And the cost is almost 0
(after boot), being one character for the boolean and two if tests.
I've also added other sanity checks in the MTRR code to make it robust
against misusage.

Linus: do you have any objection to applying the patch anyway?