SubjectRe: inode with zero dtime
Date
"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com> writes:

> the whole problem! We simply do not have any mechanism for dealing
> with remounting an inconsistent filesystem readonly.

Unfortunately.

> > Maybe a dedicated 'hey-fsck-delete-these-inodes' special internal
> > (inaccessible from the filesystem) directory to keep them, and make it
> > easier for the kernel rather than create the possibly nonexistent
> > lost+found directory?
>
> That is already part of the design for the ext2 journaling code (since

Cleaning up deleted files (When doing an explicit read-only remount, but
NOT when doing a remount because of an error), or forcibly unmounting
(again, on error -- e.g., somebody pulled the disk out or, in case of NFS
or SMB or anything-over-nbd, pulled the Ethernet cable) is not an ext2
problem: it affects all file systems.

Journalling might be a neat additional workaround for the open-but-deleted-
-files-on-a-readonly=remounted-partition problem (I assume you'd note the
deletions in the journal without actually changing the in-memory inodes),
but the other cases need still to be dealt with, somehow.

--
Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | smurf@noris.de
The quote was selected randomly. Really. | http://www.noris.de/~smurf/