SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
On 9 Aug 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> But why having devfs at all? It seems devfs is the continual solution
> in search of a problem...

Remember, some situations just need a daemon. Are you sitting there,
trying to tell me that devfs is flawed because it won't solve ALL of your
USB and FIREWIRE problems without a daemon????

In regular /dev land you need many daemons, non standard /dev directory
layouts to get past the *million inodes* problem, an ioscan program to
auto-detect devices on boot or demand optionally creating inodes in a
non-standard /dev layout, etc etc etc?????

People, it's time we just give it a try, and see what happens when it
matures fully. Remember, Richards DevFS is only so old, and he is the
ONLY person doing anything with it.

All I'm saying is to give the NEW APPROACH a chance. It is a better angle
at which to attack many device node problems in my opinion.

Please back up your baseless biased opinions at least with baseless biased
fact. ;)

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2027 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2046 for the rich and the dead.
895 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.578 / U:23.956 seconds]