SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

"H._Peter_Anvin" _ <hpa@transmeta.com> said:
> And how much does it bloat the rest of the kernel? From what I've
> seen, it seems most of devfs actually lives spread out in the drivers.

Here are the numbers for my kernel without devfs vs. with devfs:

size of vmlinux:

w/o devfs 1289231
with devfs 1318035
increase ~29k

increase per object file:

../drivers/block/floppy.o: 1712
../drivers/block/genhd.o: 1196
../drivers/block/loop.o: 396
../drivers/block/rd.o: 356
../drivers/char/console.o: 180
../drivers/char/lp.o: 548
../drivers/char/mem.o: 640
../drivers/char/misc.o: 160
../drivers/char/n_tty.o: 4
../drivers/char/psaux.o: 4
../drivers/char/pty.o: 420
../drivers/char/serial.o: 416
../drivers/char/tty_io.o: 2208
../drivers/char/vc_screen.o: 1888
../drivers/scsi/hosts.o: 560
../drivers/scsi/scsi.o: 1460
../drivers/scsi/scsi_n_syms.o: 1443
../drivers/scsi/sd.o: 508
../drivers/scsi/sg.o: 436
../drivers/scsi/sr.o: 408
../drivers/scsi/st.o: 836
../fs/filesystems.o: 40
../fs/fs.o: 629
../fs/super.o: 596
../init/main.o: 248
../mm/mm.o: 192
../mm/swapfile.o: 192

> Anyway, ~100 bytes per device can rack up pretty quickly.

Oh well: adding 50 SCSI disks with 4 _used_ partitions (unlikely IMHO)
bloats your kernel by 20kB; having 1000 ptys in use bloats it by
100kB. I'd say for anybody having a need for that many disks or ptys
this is peanuts memorywise. But your mileage will vary, as you were
already on record with the bloat club before there was even code to
look at :) But I agree, a base footprint of 30k code + 35k allocated
might be considered no small change on a 4MB system. But then, 2.1 is
probably not for you anyway.

Cheers, Roderich
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick
to anger. Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy

Roderich Schupp mailto:rsch@ExperTeam.de
ExperTeam GmbH http://www.experteam.de/
Munich, Germany linux:2.1.115

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.051 / U:0.320 seconds]