SubjectRe: rshaper-1.01, for linux-2.0
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Well I want a shaper.. I want her to be able to use 100% of the bandwidth
> > if I'm not using it.. I just dont want my slogins to be unusable during a
> > download.
>
> Thats CBQ you are describing.

Yes, that I know.. Unfortunatly, it's the incoming direction that needs to
be throttled (I'm not worried that her outgoing webrequests are saturating
me).. You say CBQ cant control incoming traffic, you need RSVP for that..

> The traffic shaper simply reduces the traffic rate on a path. So you can for
> example limit a machine to 64Kbit. With CBQ you can do much more interesting
> things. For example you can say things like
>
> telnet/ssh get 50% of the bandwidth if they are using it
> that bandwidth is usable by anything otherwise
> however never let more than 30% be used by web traffic

I know.. :) I got the tc util.. :)

> Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.044 / U:0.228 seconds]