    SubjectRe: devfs: The conclusion.
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Pal-Kristian Engstad <>
    In newsgroup:
    > 1.) devfs is conceptually cleaner, in that the kernel devices
    > control such things as major and minor device numbers.

    I for one think it is not clean at all. I think it is a
    Microsoft-like path-of-least-resistance hack.

    > 2.) devfs reduces the number of devices in /dev to a minimum, thus
    > reducing a number of inodes and some hard-disk and RAM. This
    > has also the advantage that it is easy to determine which
    > devices are in the system.

    It stores *ALL* its inodes in RAM, whereas an on-disk /dev never
    brings them in if they aren't actively used.

    > 3.) devfs optionally introduces a new naming scheme, preferred by
    > some linux administrators.

    Not something specific to devfs. scsidev has done this for ages.

    > 4.) devfs also makes it possible to mount your root on other
    > filesystems, like e.g. a CD-ROM or a non-unix filesystem.

    You can do that anyway.

    > 5.) devfs is also claimed to be faster, in that you do not have to
    > go to an external device to get major and minor device numbers.

    This speed difference is at the best very slight, and might just as
    well be a lose due to the loss of additional kernel RAM. Any device
    used with any frequency is going to be cached in the VFS anyway.

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
    "To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.022 / U:66.980 seconds]