SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
linker@z.ml.org wrote:

> Hmm.. Okay.. You just setup a few.
> Now you put in three ctrlers.
> You put a hdd on id 15 on the third controler.

I personally would not put a SCSI device at SCSI ID 15 since this
is the SCSI ID that I would normally assign to the controller itself.

> you make the 6th partiton your root partition. (you've got /boot on a
> little ide)..
>
> Problem, you didn't make enough devices.

That would have been poor planning on my part.
It is usually wise to plan out hardware configurations in advance
based on the intended use of the hardware.

> Now you say, well I'll use use /dev/sda to point to it.
> Now I hand you another hdd.. So you put in on ctrler 2.. Ohohhh.. No more
> boot..

Again that would have been because of poor planning on my part.
By properly ensuring the SCSI host probing order I would have
avoided that problem. By not doing so I reap what I have sowen.
Also using /dev/sda to indicate parition 6 of the SCSI hard drive
would not be something that would be wise to do the begin with
in my opinion.

I would rather have the following:

0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda
0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda1
0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda2
0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 3 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda3
0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 4 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda4
0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 5 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda5
0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 6 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda6

Where /dev/sda indicates the entire hard drive
/dev/sda1 indicates the first partition
/dev/sda2 indicates the second partition
/dev/sda6 indicates the sixth partition

You have not provided enough information to determine how the other
partitions are configured in /dev, so I will not attempt to make a
guess.

But yes it is possible to have the following:

0 brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 6 Aug 31 1996 /dev/sda

> Okay, so you now point to /dev/sdb.. That drive I just gave you was crap
> and died.. You remove it and reboot.. Oh ohh... Doesn't boot again..

I assume you are referring to the first drive that was in theory
installed
on the third controller at SCSI ID 15, and that I have not altered the
SCSI host probing order.

So yes it is possible to have the following:

The "faulty" drive is at /dev/sda? something
The previous /dev/sda is now at /dev/sdb.

The "faulty" drive dies and I remove it.
After removing it I reboot and the machine does not boot.

Again that is extremely poor planning on my part, since I
could have avoid the "no boot" by passing arguments to
lilo to indicate that root was now at /dev/sda? something.

It would have been wiser to boot with

Lilo: linux root=/dev/sda? (where ? is the /dev entry that points to the
6th
partition of the hard drive at SCSI ID 15 on the third controller)
init=/bin/sh

This would have allowed the machine to boot into a "maintanance" mode
where I would than be able to remount root after ensuring that it was
not
corrupted read/write, and make the necessary changes to ensure that the
machine
would boot correctly.

> Damn, Linux sure is fragile!

Well no. This would indicate that I was not properly planning
out my hardware configuration, and that my System Administration skills
needed to be improved.

So based on all the above, I see no reason as to why I "have to have"
8 million SCSI entries in /dev.

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:
>
> > Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > >

> > <snip>
> >

> > > Think about it for two seconds. The devfs generates devices as needed.
> > > If you have a static /dev on a normal filesystem, you have to have
> > > all 8 million possible SCSI devices. With devfs, you don't.
> > >

> > I would like to understand why you make the statement above?
> > Why would I "have to have all 8 million possible SCSI devices"?
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > --
> > Terry L. Ridder

<snip>
--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt
and all the milk has turned
and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
when the Big One finds you
may this song remind you that they
don't serve breakfast in hell
==Breakfast==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.052 / U:0.052 seconds]