SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Dynamic change of the system is not only a problem of USB, but also a
problem of IEEE-1394 (FireWire). You can try to reserve dev inodes as its
done with SCSI, but...

one FireWire supports up to 63 nodes. You can bridge 1023 buses together.
You can connect disks, cameras, whatever. Shall I reserve 1023*63 or, to
stay in reality, 63 disk inodes (63*16=1008 for all the partitions). But
you can also fill up your bus with cameras. So alone the FireWire
subsystem would produce masses of device inodes, most of them unused
forever. Even more, if you consider having a PC with e.g. three PCI-1394
adapters, each having x disks with y partitions...

I haven't done any inode registration request since I don't know how many
and what inodes to reserve. DEVFS SEEMS TO SOLVE ALL THOSE PROBLEMS in a
clear way. Come on, don't stay with the past - Whenever new strategies _do
help_ us, don't stick with the old stuff.

Bye,

Emanuel

Emanuel Pirker
epirker@edu.uni-klu.ac.at E.Pirker@FH-Kaernten.ac.at

On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 linker@z.ml.org wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

[snip]

> > > How would an anti-devfs person support USB? Remember, the whole system
> > > is dynamic. You can add and remove devices on a live system. You can
> > > have several devices of the same type, there is no adjustable ID like
> > > SCSI has... It will put you through hell.

> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.697 / U:0.200 seconds]