SubjectRe: devfs
Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > P.S. I'm not arguing for devfs per se; simply arguing for a "canonical,
> > > never-out-of-date /dev" and "devices named by SCSI id".
> > Devices named by SCSI ID is IMHO a partial solution. I should be able to
> > take put a jaz disk of /home on any jaz drive on the machine and boot the
> > system happily.
>
> You'll have to be the only person that can pull this trick though.
> If anyone else wants to do this, how is the kernel supposed to know whose
> /home to mount? If the kernel doesn't know in advance where the /home is
> located, it will have to search for it and it might find someone elses'
> on another Jaz drive somewhere.

Yeah, the only real problem inherent in UUIDs is that they inherently
required a discovery phase, which probably involves searching (a) ALL
your drives and partitions, (b) looking at a device list ("only search
*these* devices"), or (c) adding another level of indirection by
requiring a device->UUID map.

Going from the abstract (UUID) to the concrete (/dev/...) will be the
bear.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
http://www.spinne.com/usenet/ News tuning and consulting