    SubjectRe: devfs
    Jon M. Taylor wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > P.S. I'm not arguing for devfs per se; simply arguing for a "canonical,
    > > > never-out-of-date /dev" and "devices named by SCSI id".
    > > Devices named by SCSI ID is IMHO a partial solution. I should be able to
    > > take put a jaz disk of /home on any jaz drive on the machine and boot the
    > > system happily.
    >
    > You'll have to be the only person that can pull this trick though.
    > If anyone else wants to do this, how is the kernel supposed to know whose
    > /home to mount? If the kernel doesn't know in advance where the /home is
    > located, it will have to search for it and it might find someone elses'
    > on another Jaz drive somewhere.

    Yeah, the only real problem inherent in UUIDs is that they inherently
    required a discovery phase, which probably involves searching (a) ALL
    your drives and partitions, (b) looking at a device list ("only search
    *these* devices"), or (c) adding another level of indirection by
    requiring a device->UUID map.

    Going from the abstract (UUID) to the concrete (/dev/...) will be the
    bear.

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
    http://www.spinne.com/usenet/ News tuning and consulting