    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

    On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > Going to 32-bit device numbers can be easily done during Linux 2.3; the
    > glibc interface already supports it. We know where to store the 32-bit
    > device in the ext2 filesystem, and how to do so in a backwards
    > compatible way; we have abstractions in place that should make it more
    > or less painless to go to using 32-bit device numbers. It's a mere
    > matter of programming, and it isn't a lot of programming at that.

    Well if it so trivial please show us some code, then we can
    benchmark/test/compare/hack/break-them both fairly. Right now, devfs is a
    fully functional backward-compatible solution that anyone can install as
    an *option* and decide for him/herself.

    Your proposal is only that: a proposal. Still, the more choices we have
    available to solve the problem(s) the better. So please by all means go
    ahead and prove all these devfs "cheerleaders" wrong ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.029 / U:12.112 seconds]