SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
Hi,

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

[...]
> Going to 32-bit device numbers can be easily done during Linux 2.3; the
> glibc interface already supports it. We know where to store the 32-bit
> device in the ext2 filesystem, and how to do so in a backwards
> compatible way; we have abstractions in place that should make it more
> or less painless to go to using 32-bit device numbers. It's a mere
> matter of programming, and it isn't a lot of programming at that.

Well if it so trivial please show us some code, then we can
benchmark/test/compare/hack/break-them both fairly. Right now, devfs is a
fully functional backward-compatible solution that anyone can install as
an *option* and decide for him/herself.

Your proposal is only that: a proposal. Still, the more choices we have
available to solve the problem(s) the better. So please by all means go
ahead and prove all these devfs "cheerleaders" wrong ;-)

Cheers,

Rafael

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans