SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> PCI, ISA, & VLB. The IDE standard allowed for up to four IDE cards in
> a system, each capable of having a master and a slave. EIDE uses
> simulates the presence of two cards. If you want to reuse those drive
> you will have to get either a couple of ISA IDE adapters which can be
> configured as teradary or quatrainary (something like that) or a PCI
> (maybe ISA too) EIDE card which can be configured to be the third and
> fourth chains.

Ah, I see! Thanks for making that clear. I have a spare VLB controller
which I am sure can be used as a tertinary/quad? device. I didn't know
this was possible; but thanks, now I can kick some serious butt with RAID.
Now where did I put it? Oh, I left it in England. :/

> You do not need c0b0t0u0, there isn't that many possible EIDE devices.
> /dev/hd[a-h] would do to address the actual device. Add a number to
> that to access partitions on a disk. Simple, elegant, intuitive,
> backwardly compatable, and not verbosely complex. and if you want a
> c0.... type device then c0d0[p0] would do. (c = chain, d = device, p
> = partitions if a drive)) But this is complicating the system to fix
> something that is not broke. (for EIDE, not SCSI (I do not need flames
> here))

c0d0p0 will do fine. It makes logical sense to me now.

Cheers,
Alex
--
/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.195 / U:0.004 seconds]