SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Kragen wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Kragen wrote:
> > > /dev/sda1 is /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
> > > /dev/sdb2 is /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1
> >
> > I'm not sure how dev_fs works, but if I understand correctly,
> > it provides for backwards compatibility already...
>
> The devfs method reminds me of pasted-on GUIs. As long as you're doing
> something simple, you can use the pasted-on GUI, but when you want to
> do something more difficult, suddenly you're thrust into the
> command-line world where everything is totally different. I think this
> is an abomination.

I can understand your distaste for that, however I don't see as
this is quite the case w/ devfs...

> > > /dev/sd_c1_a1 is /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0
> > > /dev/sda_d1_ is /dev/dsk/c0t0d1*
> >
> > I don't really see the point in using /dev/sd_*, if I understand
> > correctly it isn't currently supported that way and, well, at least to me
> > it looks ugly, if we're going to do something new, let's just do it right.
>
> Well, it does look pretty ugly. (I think it's not as bad as Solaris's
> /dev/dsk, but maybe you disagree.)

I find the /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 method makes sense to me, the /dev/sd_*
makes some sense, but looks uglier, at least in my view. :) Also, the
/dev/sd_* seems to basically get as complex as the /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 setup,
and so, to reference your comments above, you can use your 'GUI' interface
for /dev/sda* things, and then use /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 for your more complex
setups (Or for those of us insane enough to actually prefer
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0).

I can kind of see where you're coming from, you are trying to make
it so that people can transition easily from simple to complex. One part
of me agrees w/ you, while the other basically comments that we really
shouldn't care and do what's more technically correct and makes more sense
and is easier to extend... Of course, most of those feelings are biased
and completely w/o base, but I think (dream?) you understand...

> It's an OS that uses something similar to devfs for its devices. I
> think you can find more information about it at plan9.bell-labs.com
> when it's up.

Interesting, perhaps I'll have to check that out when I have the
opportunity...

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.077 / U:0.036 seconds]