    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    From
    On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Stephen Frost wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Kragen wrote:
    > > /dev/sda1 is /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
    > > /dev/sdb2 is /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s1
    >
    > I'm not sure how dev_fs works, but if I understand correctly,
    > it provides for backwards compatibility already...

    Yes, it does. I was proposing that we use a single naming scheme with
    conceptual unity and simplicity, instead of having a cryptic "advanced"
    naming scheme and a simple "backwards-compatible" naming scheme.
    Instead, we could have a single naming scheme in which names get
    gradually more complex as you do more arcane things with your machine.

    The devfs method reminds me of pasted-on GUIs. As long as you're doing
    something simple, you can use the pasted-on GUI, but when you want to
    do something more difficult, suddenly you're thrust into the
    command-line world where everything is totally different. I think this
    is an abomination.

    > > /dev/sd_c1_a1 is /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0
    > > /dev/sda_d1_ is /dev/dsk/c0t0d1*
    >
    > I don't really see the point in using /dev/sd_*, if I understand
    > correctly it isn't currently supported that way and, well, at least to me
    > it looks ugly, if we're going to do something new, let's just do it right.

    Well, it does look pretty ugly. (I think it's not as bad as Solaris's
    /dev/dsk, but maybe you disagree.)

    > > (I think devfs is a really good idea. But I like Plan9, too.)
    >
    > No clue what 'Plan9' is...

    It's an OS that uses something similar to devfs for its devices. I
    think you can find more information about it at plan9.bell-labs.com
    when it's up.

    Kragen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.035 / U:0.436 seconds]