SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> >> naming sceme, change only what needs to be changed like SCSI.
> >
> >By that argument you should never introduce something new because
> >people will be "forced" to use the new thing.
>

> No I am not saying that. But it doesn't make sense to change everything,
> even the devices which do not suffer from large amounts of sub devices.
> Besides I am agruing against the gratuitous use of the new naming sceme not
> dev_fs in general. SCSI may and probably does need it but most other
> devices do not. Why change /dev/hd[a-h] when EIDE devices are already
> location based?

Ide cd changers. They have luns and you can't use partitions because CD's
can have partitions.

Also, the new scheme makes alot more sence. It's very preety. IDE is
alright where it is (if you dont consider luns) because it's location
based. It's alot better then scsi.

If we have to make a change to support luns then lets make ide look like
scsi.. :)

/dev/c0t0l0p0 is fine.. :) and you could even leave out l0 if the device
has no luns and p0 if it has no partitions.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.777 / U:0.036 seconds]