SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > That's a good reason for not doing it, if it hogs up alot of
> > kernel memory. I don't have a clue how it's implemented, but I wouldn't
> > think it would be that bad... Perhaps a clue from how SUN does it, things
> > in /dev only change when you boot, and it's just stored on a real filesystem,
> > that would take much less memory I would think.
>
> Do we have a tool such as HP's ioscan? If not, there is NO way to do ALL
> devices at boot automagically that I know of. Hot pluggable devices still
> are not covered.

Have a base-set on first boot, then after the kernel has found
everything run a script that goes through and adds on to the base-set
from what is found by the kernel. You could do that after modules are
loaded even.

> > Perhaps also have the change capability as a module for those who
> > wish to be able to change it on the fly, and for all others just have it
> > done either on request or during boot.
>
> Need something along the lines of ioscan, and it would have to know about
> all devices. ALSO, you would have to update the proggie whenever new
> devices are supported. This is kinda a hack compared to DEVFS.

Well, at least on the i386 arch I don't believe major devices could
be added while the system is running, I was thinking more along the lines of
scsi drives which are hot-swappable and such.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.102 / U:0.344 seconds]