    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

    On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Stephen Frost wrote:
    >
    > > That's a good reason for not doing it, if it hogs up alot of
    > > kernel memory. I don't have a clue how it's implemented, but I wouldn't
    > > think it would be that bad... Perhaps a clue from how SUN does it, things
    > > in /dev only change when you boot, and it's just stored on a real filesystem,
    > > that would take much less memory I would think.
    >
    > Do we have a tool such as HP's ioscan? If not, there is NO way to do ALL
    > devices at boot automagically that I know of. Hot pluggable devices still
    > are not covered.

    Have a base-set on first boot, then after the kernel has found
    everything run a script that goes through and adds on to the base-set
    from what is found by the kernel. You could do that after modules are
    loaded even.

    > > Perhaps also have the change capability as a module for those who
    > > wish to be able to change it on the fly, and for all others just have it
    > > done either on request or during boot.
    >
    > Need something along the lines of ioscan, and it would have to know about
    > all devices. ALSO, you would have to update the proggie whenever new
    > devices are supported. This is kinda a hack compared to DEVFS.

    Well, at least on the i386 arch I don't believe major devices could
    be added while the system is running, I was thinking more along the lines of
    scsi drives which are hot-swappable and such.

    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:32.644 seconds]