Subjectrshaper-1.01, for linux-2.0

Hello hackers.

Needing to use a traffic shaper in a production environment based on
version 2.0, I found that shaper.c can't be backported to 2.0 because
of relevant changes in the sk_buff structure.

Therefore I wrote a simple tool that delays packet reception, instead
of transmission, by hooking to netif_rx() calls as made by the driver.
The outcome is called rshaper-1.01, (receive shaper), and can be
downloaded from:
ftp://ftp.systemy.it/pub/develop/rshaper-1.01.tar.gz (7kB)

By shaping incoming packets, the tool can work on gateway machines but
can also be used to limit client download bandwidth in student's
computers.

I've tested it with 2.0.34 on my home network, and it looks pretty stable;
unfortunately, it needs a two-liner patch to the interface driver, but
the included README is pretty clear about that.

Hope this tool can be useful to someone else before transitioning to 2.2.

/alessandro

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.059 / U:0.336 seconds]