SubjectRe: cooked and raw files (was: Re: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???))
On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Check yur fax... Oracle does NOT recommend cooked nor raw files. In
> _ORACLE for Sun Performance Tuning Tips_ manual, it lists the tradeoffs
> between the two issues. I summarize that below.
>
> *All* high-capacity production Oracle databases I've worked with have
> been stored on a cooked fs. And believe me I've setup and/or fixed some
> really hairy Oracle7/8 configs. :) The ease of maintenance on a cooked
> fs always outweighted the performance gain on a raw fs.

This is very true, maintaining/fixing a raw partition under
Oracle is a pain, and as I recall Oracle goes insane if even correctable
errors occur on the raw partition whereas on the cooked fs errors are
handled by the fs instead of by oracle and things work much nicer.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.073 / U:0.260 seconds]