SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

Actually, the devfs order is derived from the order the cards are found,
which should be derrived from the mem addr (for ISA) or the slot number
for PCI..

At least that's what I've found..

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:

> Hello Everyone;
>

> Some dev_fs's cheerleaders are attributing abilities to dev_fs
> which do not exist.
>
> >From the updated dev_fs FAQ.
>
> <Begin Quote>
> SCSI Host Probing Issues
> <section>
> ========================
>
> <snip>
>
> Note that this scheme does not address the SCSI host order if you have
> multiple cards of the same type (such as NCR53c8xx). In this case you
> need to use the driver-specific boot parameters to control this.
> <End Quote>
>
> If you add a new SCSI controller to a system it is totally up to you
> to tell the kernel what order to probe the SCSI hosts. If you do not
> and you are using dev_fs /dev/sd/c0t3d0s1 and the SCSI host probing
> finds your new SCSI controller first you are out of luck. Because
> /dev/sd/c0t3d0s1 is no longer what you has before adding the new
> SCSI controller.
>
> So all these arguments that dev_fs "saves" you from the current
> SCSI rearranging are false. You still have to deal with the order
> in which SCSI hosts are probe.
>

> Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> > > I do not know about it similarity to other UNIX's (other than SUN/SCO) but
> > > /dev/sda is definately simple. As far a company goes they are not going to
> > > care if their drive is named /dev/sda or /dev/dsk/sd/c0t0d0u0 (whatever).
>
> But they do.
>

> > Except that it is MUCH easier to find a physical disk if you know the
> > controller and target id of it.
> >

> <snip>
>

> > I've got another machine w/ 5 SCSI controller in it, of which
> > only 4 are used and I've got a total of 30 disks, this system is running
> > a nice big Oracle system. Oracle at least in the past for me does NOT
> > like it when/if the name it uses to access a drive changes. If you are
> > using raw disk mode then in my view you basically HAVE to have something
> > like /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0. You could set the database up using /dev/sda,
> > but if you ever changed your configuration, oracle would probably die
> > and you'd probably lose any data stored on any disks that had their name
> > changed.
>
> Please see above concerning SCSI host probing. Even under dev_fs if
> SCSI host probing order changes controller numbers will change, and
> Oracle would have the same problems.
>

> > My only concern about devfs would be how it assigns controller
> > number, I like some of the things about how SUN does it, like that the
> > controller number basically never changes unless you do some strange
> > stuff, is this true for devfs?
> >

> Please see above. You add a new controller it is up to you to indicate
> what the SCSI host probing order should be. Dev_fs has nothing to do
> with
> this. If you do not indicate what the SCSI host probing order should be
> the controller number can change.

> [...]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.194 / U:0.768 seconds]