    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    ..

    > For killer database speed, people should use raw devices, so I don't
    > think the 2GB limit is a problem.
    >
    > I would be really nice to hear from someone at Oracle or Informix
    > about this. Presumably they know more about database performance and
    > requirements than most of us here.

    I have seen figures in the SAP R/3 world that Oracle 7.x.x raw
    filesystems could possibly have a performance gain of upto 30% over
    cooked ones.

    IMHO, the the time saved by easy administration of files/tablespaces
    with AdvFS (and others) is is a more important factor, thus I tend to go
    go with cooked filesystems. Of course it depends a lot on what the
    system is used for, that upto 30% could mean everything.

    --
    Samuli Kaski, samkaski@cs.helsinki.fi
    Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, Finland.