    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

    > No, but certain devfs "cheerleaders" have been responsible for at least

    Rah Rah!!!

    > Precisely. In Unix we have a very well developed abstraction for saving
    > this kind of state: permissions, user/group ownership, modtimes, etc.
    > It's called a filesystem. Tar is an unmitigated hack; using a C program
    > helps hide the fact that what you're doing is a hack, but it's still a
    > hack.

    One with millions of inodes even with btree will be slow. I've
    benchmarked reiserfs, have you???

    > Going to 32-bit device numbers can be easily done during Linux 2.3; the
    > glibc interface already supports it. We know where to store the 32-bit
    > device in the ext2 filesystem, and how to do so in a backwards
    > compatible way; we have abstractions in place that should make it more
    > or less painless to go to using 32-bit device numbers. It's a mere
    > matter of programming, and it isn't a lot of programming at that.

    Ok, you want a fully populated /dev? Fine, be that way. I would
    appreciate an *OPTION* to configure in the DEVFS without dl'ing a patch.

    -Shawn
    <=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
    Day 2024 for the poor and the middle class.
    Day 2043 for the rich and the dead.
    898 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:0.132 seconds]