SubjectTX-PRO chipset (Was: !!Warning!! UDMA and Fujitsu HD)
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:

> >Also get Andrew Balsa's Jumbo-9 for additional (U)DMA support under
> >2.0.35 and 2.0.36-1; however, we may not have the TX-Pro Chipset decoded
> >yet............
> >
> >Andrew, status TX-Pro???
> >
> I am trying to get those $%&$#@ pdf data sheets for the ALi chipsets. :-(
>
> Tough.
> --
> Andrew D. Balsa
> andrebalsa@altern.org

As promised, I did a massive search on the net for any info on
TX-PRO/Aladdin chipsets.

I ended up on http://www.tomshardware.com/chipsets.html, which
had a link to the ACER Labs Inc website (ALI).

The ACER website is: http://www.ali.com.tw

Don't expect anything useful there though. The company's website
is INCREDIBLY slow, and is running on an NT server (surprised?).

The "Products" page gives a VERY brief listing of their chipsets,
and their capabilities, no HTML links.

The "Service and Support" page gives you information on "how to
get support" rather than providing that support.

These options include:

1) Ask your reseller.
2) Check the ALI datasheet or other support documents. Every Ali
product has a corresponding datasheet.

#1 is retarded. #2 is what we want. TOO BAD THEY DON'T F*CK*ING
tell you were to get the damned datasheets, nor provide ANY HTML
links on the webpage. WTF??? WHY TELL SOMEONE you can get
datasheets, but not supply them, nor tell you how to get them.

I've always HATED ACER products because they suck. Every ACER
computer system I've seen, CDROM, monitor, or other peripheral
*SUCKED*. They break down quickly, and you're stuck with
crap. You get what you pay for I guess. That is basically
what Tom's Hardware Guide said about their chipsets as well.

Now I know why their products suck - the company is ran by
inbreds who don't know how to create a decent product, or
webpage.

I'm pretty pissed off at ACER right now, since I spent almoust an
hour and a half trying to locate the needed information, to
finally locate their USELESS website.

Strangely... I like my motherboard (PC-Chips/Houston) which has
the TX-Pro chipset. Even though made by ACER it is the first
thing I've seen by them that works well (or maybe I'm fooling
myself on that as well).

At any rate, I am going to look for .pdf's for a while longer
before I give up completely. I'm going to by a new MB if I can't
get the fullest out of this board.

Anyone using an MVP3 chipset by VIA? Does the kernel support
this chipset? I'll probably go to K6-2-3D at the same time...

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.553 / U:0.104 seconds]