       Date: 	Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:37:18 +0200 (CEST)
    From: Andrea Arcangeli <>

    Is this a sing of fs corrution? Now I have disabled DMA on my trusted
    hardware and I' ll see what fsck will report the next week.

    Well, I can't say for sure, since it's theoretically possible this was
    caused by a hardware failure or a weird kernel bug. However, the fsck
    messages are more indicative of a filesystem which wasn't cleanly
    unmounted before a shutdown, or possibly one caused by the bug caused by
    the Debian upgrade which replaces shared libraries and then reboots.
    Since /etc/init still has a pointer to the old (and now deleted) shared
    library, the space can't be reclaimed, so the filesystem can't be
    cleanly unmounted.

    I believe newer versions of /etc/init can be sent a signal asking it to
    re-exec itself, thus clearing this condition. In any cases, if thse
    were all the e2fsck messages you saw, they were all pretty harmless in
    that they wouldn't cause any data loss.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.019 / U:39.432 seconds]