    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    > > You mean like...
    > >
    > > c0b0t0u0p1 and rc0b0t0u0p1? This would be better WITH DevFS, than
    > > without...
    >
    > Its got nothing to do with devFS. Its means I want to RW to a device
    > without the buffer cache getting in the way.
    >
    > For many applications, this is a bad thing - but for large database
    > which maintain their own caches, etc. it can be a big win.

    It has a lot to do with having twice the number of dev files around adding
    to the directory entry lookup tim, though.

    This is all I meant by it being better *with* DevFS than without. Any
    time you increase the number of possible device nodes, you have increased
    administrative overhead in /dev without it, too.

    -Shawn
    <=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
    Day 2023 for the poor and the middle class.
    Day 2042 for the rich and the dead.
    899 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:4.367 / U:0.268 seconds]