    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    Andrea Arcangeli writes:
    > On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
    >
    > >before I wrote devfs. But then when you buy a shiny new disc, you have
    > >to go and create inodes again.
    >
    > Since you have also to dismount your hardware, recompile the kernel and
    > reboot, running `MAKEDEV audio` after the boot is not so difficult.

    No, this isn't true. Think about hot-swappable discs. Think about
    PCMCIA. Think about USB. All cases where hardware is plugged in and
    out and you don't reboot the kernel.

    > >> 2. I don' t know very well the fs code but I don' t think the problem
    > >> is the number of inodes, but instead the number of file entry in the
    > >> directory /dev/. So dividing /dev/ in /dev/block /dev/char for example
    > >> would speed up things I think.
    > >
    > >Yes, it helps a bit. But the problem just gets shifted to a
    > ^^^
    > Something like O(n*log(n)) instead of O(n).

    Erm, if you just move all block devices into their own subdirectory,
    and assuming the bulk of /dev bloat is due to block devices
    (reasonable, when you consider the zillions of possible SCSI discs
    when we break the 16 disc limit), then searching through /dev/block is
    nearly as long as searching /dev with everything in it.

    > >> I don' t know if devfs is so malleable/configurable.
    > >
    > >I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean having subdirectories?
    >
    > root@dragon:/tmp# cp -a /dev/hda3 .
    > root@dragon:/tmp# mount /tmp/hda3 /park
    > mroot@dragon:/tmp# mount
    > /dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
    > proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    > /dev/hdc on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,unhide)
    > /tmp/hda3 on /park type ext2 (rw)
    > ^^^^^^^^^
    > root@dragon:/tmp# umount /park

    Not a problem. Just leave CONFIG_DEVFS_ONLY as 'N' (the default).

    > Can you send me your latest devfs to give a try? I tried to download from
    > the www site but it seems to stall from here.

    Yup. I'll send it privately, though :-)

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.021 / U:120.696 seconds]