    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

    >before I wrote devfs. But then when you buy a shiny new disc, you have
    >to go and create inodes again.

    Since you have also to dismount your hardware, recompile the kernel and
    reboot, running `MAKEDEV audio` after the boot is not so difficult.

    >> 2. I don' t know very well the fs code but I don' t think the problem
    >> is the number of inodes, but instead the number of file entry in the
    >> directory /dev/. So dividing /dev/ in /dev/block /dev/char for example
    >> would speed up things I think.
    >Yes, it helps a bit. But the problem just gets shifted to a
    Something like O(n*log(n)) instead of O(n).

    >> I don' t know if devfs is so malleable/configurable.
    >I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean having subdirectories?

    root@dragon:/tmp# cp -a /dev/hda3 .
    root@dragon:/tmp# mount /tmp/hda3 /park
    mroot@dragon:/tmp# mount
    /dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    /dev/hdc on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,unhide)
    /tmp/hda3 on /park type ext2 (rw)
    root@dragon:/tmp# umount /park

    Can you send me your latest devfs to give a try? I tried to download from
    the www site but it seems to stall from here.

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.034 / U:2.880 seconds]