    SubjectRe: 2.1.118 Tons of oopes wrote:
    >Richard Gooch wrote:
    >> Yes, I can see the benefit of avoiding the NULL check. It would be
    >> nice to be able to do this. However, that would then require every
    >> driver to be updated on every addition of a new VFS method.
    >It's possible, in the NULL case, that the check is faster than the
    >function call to the default function.

    Which is a rather bogus argument, trying to call a VFS method which
    is NULL usually indicates an error and isn't time critical.

    >Richard Gooch wrote:
    >> However, if there was some compiler trickery we could employ such that
    >> a VFS change doesn't require source code to be touched, it would be a
    >> good idea. Being able to strip those method existence tests would make
    >> code a bit more readable and would also save a few cycles. But I don't
    >> see how to do it without making drivers not distributed with the
    >> kernel much harder to maintain.

    One way of "fixing" this for most cases might be to let register_chrdev
    call a function fixup_fops() like this:

    void fixup_fops(struct file_operations *fops)
    if (!fops->llseek) fops->llseek = dummy_llseek;
    if (!fops->read) fops->llseek = dummy_read;
    if (!fops->write) fops->llseek = dummy_write;

    If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:36.144 seconds]