    SubjectRe: APIC IO changes in 2.1.118.

    On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

    [snip]

    > Nobody mixed up 2 and 9. It was intentional, but ddoesn't work as planned.
    > If you leave IRQ 9 enabled, then at least on the Intel DK440LX motherboards
    > the IO-APIC code is failing to properly set up IRQ 9 and causing system
    > problems (I've now seen at least three reports of problems with IRQ 9
    > disabled). If you leave it disabled, then the DK440LX works like a champ,
    > but apparently other motherboards break. Time to try and figure out why IRQ
    > 9 on the DK440LX won't work if it isn't disabled.

    Perhaps this snippet from the Intel MB site may help -

    IRQ9 cannot be re-assigned

    IRQ9 is not available to assign to
    ISA add-in cards because it is
    dedicated to the power
    management function of the PIIX4
    controller on the motherboard.
    This is true for other motherboards
    which use the 82371AB PIIX4
    component.

    I ran across this back when the problem first appeared in 2.1.110. It may
    have bearing on some related DK specific problems (fr'instance I disable
    the onboard hardware monitor and network desktop management stuff and had
    many weird lockups go away). I would estatically test any patches that
    hammered this if it would help. I also considered (have run internally)
    posting a patch to Config that ifdef's the io_apic.c line above iff you
    have a DK440LX _and_ run SMP. Maybe if in 2.2 there is an SMP checkbox for
    config then we could have a DK440LX workaround box.

    > Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
    > Opinions expressed are my own, but
    > they should be everybody's.

    Thanks!