SubjectRe: Networkhood file system.

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > You know how Micro$oft gets this information? They steal it. They
> > rob CPU time from everyone on the local network. These garbage
> > machines trash the LAN with continuous "chatter", which turns into
> > a nearly 100% load on the network when you have a room full of
> > these abortions. No thanks.
>
> Wow, colorful.
>
> We could use wins, but it would need to be expanded to support more then
> smb. We could also create our own, doing something like this:

You may want to check out how Novell is doing service location
(historically - IPX SAP) under the TCP/IP only Netware 5.0. They are using
an IETF Service Location Protocol RFC 2165 that is designed to do away
with the ungodly broadcast chatter such as M$. That RFC is a very good
read on how to provide service location (essentially what we are
discussing) over TCP/IP without swamping the network. What would be
ultra-groove would be a Linux SLP daemon _and_ a Linux WINS daemon that
mutually conversed (perhaps using LDAP style databases) to offer a global
network picture within the given realm of interest. Then you could (as
partially implemented in Netware 5) have an LDAP server/daemon that could
provide this information to clients who are unaware of SLP/WINS and vice
versa. This one Linux boxen would be the NetGod of the neighborhood.

[snip of interesting thoughts]

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems, LLC
1506 North 59th Street