SubjectRe: struct ucred change in 2.1.113
Date
> In kernel 2.1.113, the struct ucred has changed to 3 __u32 types now.

This is intentional

> The problem: sendmsg with SCM_CREDENTIALS are not binary compatible
> now with programs/libraries compiled with older kernels.

Right now nobody is using them for anything serious

> The advantage: For glibc, we could remove the terrible wrapper function
> for sendmsg/recvmsg.

Actually the specific reason is related

> So, will the struct ucred be changed again in the near feature, or
> will it stay for ever with this types ? If it will stay, I could
> remove the glibc wrappers for the sendmsg/recvmsg syscalls.
> Please tell me, that it will not be changed again.

I changed it now so that with 2.3.x if we go to 32bit pid (yes there are
folks worried about pid space!) 32bit uid, 32bit gid we will not break
binary compatibility.

From a stable kernel point of view SCM_CREDENTIALS is new in 2.2, so now
was the time to fix it.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.025 / U:1.080 seconds]