    SubjectRe: kernel compile time comparison (2.0 vs 2.1 with 64MB)
    Hi Peter,

    On Mon, 03 Aug 1998, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >I almost feel like varying the parameters one at a time :-).

    This would allow seeing the effects of each parameter on compilation times. It
    is also the recommended procedure in m HOWTO... :-)
    >Kernel compilation seems cpu and/or memory bound, and the measurements
    >seem to indicate that the measurements that I make don't distinguish the

    It's hard to tell unless you keep the other parameter constant, and in the case
    of the Celeron oc.@412MHz vs. PPro200, this is impossible. The Celeron has a
    small 32KB L1 cache and that's it. The PPro has both an L1 cache and an L2
    cache (you didn't say but I assume it is the more common 256KB model).

    You could try _underclocking_ the Celeron at 200MHz, but IIRC this is
    impossible too: the Celeron has a fixed multiplier.

    However the PII and the Celeron have basically the same core. Comparing
    compilation times on a PII @ 300MHz vs. the Celeron @ 300MHz will clearly show
    the effect of the 512KB L2 cache on the PII core performance, during kernel
    compilations (keeping other factors constant).
    >Well, three years of hardware development ought to make a difference
    >that is noticable with your eyes shut. I have to say, no, not really.
    >I still run a 486 dx 33MHz quite happily as an X terminal, with 32M
    >memory. I can't say it's slower at anything except kernel compilation.
    >It benchmarks about the same at that as a couple of old sparc's I have.
    >They have wonderful disk i/o. But putting ram in the 486 levels it out.

    There are various bottlenecks in PCs. Running the 486DX-33MHz as an X
    terminal, you may notice only slightly slower keyboard/screen response times
    (no disk i/o), compared to, say, a 486DX4-100MHz.

    But really, a faster CPU makes a noticeable difference in everyday use.

    Andrew D. Balsa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.024 / U:4.204 seconds]