    SubjectRE: Corruption Stats (fwd)
    Date
    Hi,

    > > BTW: A drive following the SCSI-specs may cause disk-corruption
    > > under Linux (WCE=1). Data may still be in write-cache after
    > > shutdown and power-off. (I miss "synchronize cache").
    > > This is for shure a theoretical problem, but a practical bug.
    > > Or did I miss something ?

    Windows 98, on shutdown, sends the "power off" command to the hard drives.
    I mean not just if your box has control of the power supply. I hear my hard
    drives click off as the "It is now safe to switch off your computer" screen
    appears, and my PC has a "manual" power switch.

    So what I'm assuming is that a disk will flush its caches if it receives the
    power off command. We could use that for "Halt". Bit of a PITA for
    "Reboot" though.

    Jon.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:30.604 seconds]