SubjectRe: VESA FB & PIO_FONTX
Date
Followup to:  <19980803190331.06027@albireo.ucw.cz>
By author: Martin Mares <mj@ucw.cz>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Currently both PIO_FONT and PIO_FONTX are supposed to set the font only for
> the virtual console they've been called for (with exception on EGA/VGA where
> the font change is global for the card). This will probably change in 2.3.X as
> I'd like to remove all the compatibility crap and leave only the KDFONTOP
> ioctl.
>
> You can use KDFONTOP to copy the font to all other FB consoles you want.

This is, of course, a change in the semantics of this ioctl, and
perhaps is even a good reason to move away from an ioctl altogether
(the reason it is an ioctl is that we did not want a global change to
be implemented using escape codes (can't switch vt's if one is hosed),
but a per-vt change, like the colour map, is typically better done
with escape codes so it is terminal/network transparent.)

-hpa

--
PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key