SubjectRe: SYSRQ accidents
David Meyer wrote:

> Am I the first one to aim for "k" and accidently hit "l" ? eh? I just
> wanted to saK my current TTY, not destroy my system!!! Perhaps sysrq.c
> could be made to confirm actions? Or better yet, it could be coded to
> become more like the Windows NT Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. (Where you could
> have a nice menu, and select stuff from and list and perhaps instead of
> just killing all or all but init, you could pick a program/pid to kill.)
>
> I would volunteer to do it myself, but as I am still becoming familiar
> with the Linux kernel code, it would take me a while :(.
>
> Regards,
> David <Paradox@maine.rr.com>

sysrq is only for ppl who *know* what they are doing and look carefully
before doing it. That's why it takes 3(!!!) keys to do something. Isn't
that a guarantee that no accidents will happen?

Also, that menu you were talking about would be extremely usefull in
case you're under X or something like this (read: don't see anything,
but stuck picture)

Perhaps, you should disable sysrq to make your computer much more
stable. And please don't bother People_Who_Code with user-friendly
improvements of kernel-developer functions. Their coding time is too
valuable for us to waste it on something that is not needed anyway :)

Vadim

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.082 / U:0.020 seconds]