SubjectRe: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

| In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980825024808.12083D-100000@pioneer>, Tomasz Rola
| writ
| es:
| +-----
| | Well, perhaps I want it :-) right into the kernel. Don't take me too
| | serious, I'm very stubborn :-).
| |
| | I have thought about some special kind of JVM. Its purpose wouldn't be to
| | serve user-level programs but rather to experiment with some concepts from
| | Operating Systems field, like distributed kernel. I can't imagime anything
| +--->8
|
| Actually, at one point I thought about a JVM (or other bytecode interpreter,
| e.g. iconx) in the kernel for the purpose of loadable packet filters. For
| example, one could load a filter on port 80 which inspected URLs, or whip up
| a masquerade module for some new streaming audio/videoconferencing/etc.
| protocol without having to build a full kernel module. One advantage would
| be that, done right, you wouldn't be able to knock over the kernel with it
| even if the filter were buggy. (Very restricted set of operations.)
|
| I decided I needed to get out more. :-)

For my thesis I'm working (starting up looks more like it..) on a project
just like this - in Java.
It runs as an userlevel process and uses ipchains (need to get more
documentation though..) to allow for such things.
Besides this, it should also be a network-management tool.
As I plan to make it a GPL project starting very soon, is anyone want to
join in? Any help would be most appreciated.

--
Francesco "Kinkie" Chemolli