    SubjectRe: Out of ptys
    On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 01:26:15PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > Yes. You are the only one so far that observed that there _is_ a newline
    > in the output string so they should both operate the same. Most are
    > content with explaining that I don't know anything.
    > The program was written, not as an example of how to program, but simply
    > to demonstrate the problem. If I am executing `gdb` or `strace` on a
    > network-connected program who's socket has been duped to the three basic
    > fds, and the socket is closed by the peer I've got a big problem finding
    > what went wrong.

    It's a socket descriptor? Then it's not a terminal and the line
    buffering won't be switched on for stdout -- block buffering will be
    used just like for a file. stderr is unbuffered as usual.

    So I'd expect different behaviours for these programs.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.025 / U:2.020 seconds]