SubjectRe: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel
In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980825024808.12083D-100000@pioneer>, Tomasz Rola
writ
es:
+-----
| Well, perhaps I want it :-) right into the kernel. Don't take me too
| serious, I'm very stubborn :-).
|
| I have thought about some special kind of JVM. Its purpose wouldn't be to
| serve user-level programs but rather to experiment with some concepts from
| Operating Systems field, like distributed kernel. I can't imagime anything
+--->8

Actually, at one point I thought about a JVM (or other bytecode interpreter,
e.g. iconx) in the kernel for the purpose of loadable packet filters. For
example, one could load a filter on port 80 which inspected URLs, or whip up
a masquerade module for some new streaming audio/videoconferencing/etc.
protocol without having to build a full kernel module. One advantage would
be that, done right, you wouldn't be able to knock over the kernel with it
even if the filter were buggy. (Very restricted set of operations.)

I decided I needed to get out more. :-)

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.097 / U:0.264 seconds]