    SubjectRe: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117
    On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 07:13:48PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:

    > Most PCI cards tend to be ~50% more expensive than PnP ISA ones. So
    > there are big economic reasons to go ISA, even though it is
    > antiquated.

    That gap is closing, so I think the real reason we need ISA support
    is for antiquated cards.

    > Linux has never really supported PnP, and now I hear people trying
    > to avoid _any_ support entirely. Gah.

    What's wrong with the userspace support?

    > I thought the point of Linux was to try to support as much hardware
    > as possible, even broken ones (eg Intel EtherExpress).

    I think supporting as much hardware as possible is ver admirable, but
    not at the expense of sane hardware.

    That said, if kernel PnP is a compile time option, people are free to
    choose.

    > A good percentage of multimedia cards are PnP. In fact most recent
    > soundchips (CS423x, ESS18xx) are PnP. Motherboards come with PnP
    > soundchips embedded. And Linux doesnt really support any of them
    > :-/

    Are these connected to a PCI or ISA bus? I assume the later?

    In particular for the case of mm stuff - userspace init of the card
    then moduling loading seems appropriate.

    > Is it any wonder why multimedia support on Linux still lags...

    Mostly because most mm vendors are completely anal and won't rellease
    specs.

    Anyone got details on the i740?

    -cw

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:3.696 / U:0.204 seconds]