SubjectRe: Tyans and BIOS upgrades (Award v1.02)
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Dmitriy Budko wrote:

> >From: Mark Szlaga <mszlaga@engin.umd.umich.edu>
>

> > The UDMA support amazed the heck out of me, seeing as though the Tomcat
> >IV is a HX based chipset... I thought only the TX and newer supported that
> >feature. So far It seems to work like a charm, and it is _*FAST*_, though
> >I can only get it to function properly under Windows. When I try to run it
> >under linux I get:

I tested this on a S1563D (Tomcat III).

> > Anyone else try this BIOS upgrade? Does the UDMA in fact work? Or should
> >I avaoid it with a 10 foot pole?

Yes, No, and wait until I can get a formal statement from Tyan.
The inital reports that I have are the following..........

(problem 1) : HX will never do UDMA, yet it will report its presence.

(problem 2) : BIOS 4.02 breaks IO-APIC IRQ shifting, but allow one to
disable UDMA drive functions. (BIOS 1.02)

(problem 3) : BIOS 4.01 does not allow one to disable UDMA drive functions.
(BIOS 1.01)

Tyan is now looking for a way to have BIOS 4.01/1.01 able to disable
UDMA drive features, to save the IO-APIC IRQ shifting. There second
point to look in to is fixing IO-APIC IRQ shifting in BIOS 4.02/1.02.

> Intel 430HX/PIIX3 does NOT support UDMA. The new BIOS may set faster
> timings for supported PIO and DMA modes.
>
> Dmitriy Budko former Intel developer of BM IDE drivers for Windows 9x/NT
> and now BeOS kernel developer

Dmitriy is correct...........

Cheers,
Andre

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.024 / U:0.564 seconds]