SubjectRe: copy_from_user() fixu
On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 12:46:35AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > On which page do the words "yankee doodle dandy" appear?

> It's a figure of speech

just stirring...

> but I just sent the appropriate chapter and verse from the Unix98
> spec to linux-kernel:
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/interfaces.html
>
> Use and Implementation of Interfaces
>
> Each of the following statements applies unless explicitly
> stated otherwise in the detailed descriptions that follow. If
> an argument to a function has an invalid value (such as a
> value outside the domain of the function, or a pointer
> outside the address space of the program, or a null pointer),
> the behaviour is undefined.

I don't disagree with what the spec. says - I just think the spec.
needs to clarify just how things _should_ fail, or should not fail.

As you point out, EFAULT situations are `undefined' which means the
machine is entitled to grow wings an launch itself towards the sun...

Something Richard said though, does, or should count, is that almost
evey unix implementation since the dawn of time has return EFAULT in
some situations and changing this behaviour might just turn userland
to custard.

-cw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.060 / U:1.256 seconds]