SubjectRe: NFS looking good!

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

> H. J. Lu wrote:
>
> > > The "semaphore in use" messages are serious -- that really shouldn't be happening. Is device 08:15 the NFS mount
> > > perchance?
> >
> > I have seen it twice on my NFS server. It is the exported fs. I think
> > I was doing something on NFS at the time. I might be starting/stopping
> > the NFS server.
>
> The knfsd code uses the inode semaphore for a number of locking
> situations, and if there are cases where the semaphore isn't being
> released, it could show up as "semaphore in use" when the inode is
> freed.
>
> It would be very helpful to find a repeatable case of this so I can see
> what's going on. A messed up semaphore count could result in hanging or
> stuck operations, so it's important to track this down.

Bill,

Now that others have pointed out the radix for the 08:15 message, I can
confirm that /dev/sdb5 is the exported NFS mount point. The problem is
easily repeatable, and I see it on every system shutdown. If you'd like
to give me a patch to instrument things, I'll mail back the logs.

Steve

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.081 / U:0.160 seconds]