    SubjectRe: NFS looking good!

    On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

    > H. J. Lu wrote:
    >
    > > > The "semaphore in use" messages are serious -- that really shouldn't be happening. Is device 08:15 the NFS mount
    > > > perchance?
    > >
    > > I have seen it twice on my NFS server. It is the exported fs. I think
    > > I was doing something on NFS at the time. I might be starting/stopping
    > > the NFS server.
    >
    > The knfsd code uses the inode semaphore for a number of locking
    > situations, and if there are cases where the semaphore isn't being
    > released, it could show up as "semaphore in use" when the inode is
    > freed.
    >
    > It would be very helpful to find a repeatable case of this so I can see
    > what's going on. A messed up semaphore count could result in hanging or
    > stuck operations, so it's important to track this down.

    Bill,

    Now that others have pointed out the radix for the 08:15 message, I can
    confirm that /dev/sdb5 is the exported NFS mount point. The problem is
    easily repeatable, and I see it on every system shutdown. If you'd like
    to give me a patch to instrument things, I'll mail back the logs.

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.021 / U:0.840 seconds]