    SubjectRe: NFS file locking broken (take 2)

    On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, H. J. Lu wrote:

    > > - When building the kernel on an NFS mounted directory, a 'make mrproper'
    > > will sometimes fail with numerous complaints about "files in use" when
    > > trying to remove the linux/include/config hierarchy. Usually, the second
    > > attempt succeeds.
    >
    > How easy to reproduce it?

    Not easy at all. If I had to guess, I'd say it occurs once for every 20
    kernel builds - possibly less frequently than that.

    > > I know this is not much to go on, but perhaps it may suggest a set of
    > > functions to instrument? Again, these are quite rare but have persisted
    > > over quite a number of kernel revs.
    > >

    > If I can reproduce it, I will take a look.

    That's all anyone can ask. I'm far more concerned about the fact that I
    cannot verify proper operation of NFS file locking on my systems - see my
    reply and testcases of a few minutes ago.

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.033 / U:1.240 seconds]