SubjectRe: probe_irq_{on,off}
Date
(Again, please ensure that you CC: any replies to me).

Philip Blundell writes:
> >The return method for probe_irq_off() could be changed as well,
> >such that it returns either success/failure, and returns the
> >probed interrupt number via a pointer thus:
>
> Given the above I don't really see what this buys us.

A cleaner interface to probe_irq_off(). As I said in my previous
posting, probe_irq_off() returns -IRQ_NR to indicate that this was
the first interrupt identified, but there are more.

Currently, there are a few (minority) drivers which display this,
and it could be useful to keep this functionality. In order to be
able to return both failure and first-interrupt-identified, you can't
set NO_IRQ to -1 (since it's -IRQ1).

In this case, you'd have to use my suggested interface.

However, note that this change will not be necessary if this little
used functionality is dropped. (it's only ever displayed to the user).
_____
| | | | http://www.arm.uk.linux.org/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
/ | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.034 / U:0.148 seconds]