SubjectRe: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > How long do we have to go round the merry-go-round before the gcc people
> > start admitting to bugs instead of blaming the kernel when something goes
> > wrong?
>
> Since when has been telling someone "we dont recommend you use that feature"
> been blaming the kernel ?

NOBODY said "we don't recommend using the feature, because we know it has
problems but we hope to fix them"

Instead, people said "we're going to make the problem go away by hiding
the feature".

And THAT in turn means that we can't compile the kernel with such a
compiler.

To me, that sounds like blaming the feature that the kernel uses rather
than blaming the real bug.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.091 / U:0.076 seconds]