SubjectRe: VFS/ext2fs - large files on the Alpha (fails for 17GB+)
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> We do have prototype code to allow multiple devices to be bound together
> at the filesystem layer. That will allow us to go above 1TB per
> filesystem, but we'll still be limited to 8TB because of the maximum fs
> blocksize of 4096 bytes. However, Ted's btree index code, when ready,
> will allow us to get past even that limit. :)

Whee. Can't wait to have the ability to bind together n number of devices
into a single logical entity. Wait, we do have that ability thanks to the
md drivers (but still, I know we can't have a filesystem larger than a
terabyte though, neither is it possible to boot off such a filesystem
arrangement!)

It's also time we moved beyond the single filesystem -> single device
relationship to a single filesytem -> many devices relationship. We do
already have many filesystems -> many device relationships though, but
it's very difficult to spread a single filesystem across many devices
though. I'd like to have the ability to have my /home filesystem mounted
across several of my unused devices.

Also, as far as I know, the kernel can't boot off a RAID root filesystem.
That needs sorting for 2.3.x.

Cheers,
Alex
--
/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.070 / U:0.248 seconds]