SubjectRe: Why does struct sock have saddr and daddr?
Date
> Is this true only for UDP, or does TCP also use the interface addr instead of
> the bound addr? Well, thinking about it, the only way we could receive a packet
> that didn't have an interface listening on that IP, was if someone force routed

In the TCP case you cant have TCP broadcast or multicast so they would be the
same.

> I know Sol 2.6 has a bug WRT using random interface addrs when responding via
> UDP (they call it load balancing, but it breaks NFS).

I've heard it called many things, mostly impolite. Linux always uses a
consistent address by the following order

o Address computed you did a bind() from
[bound address or iface addr if broadcast/multicast]

o Address of interface that the route specifies

Thats pretty much identical across most tcp stacks

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.038 / U:2.716 seconds]