    SubjectRe: GSM short message from
    On 2 Aug 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > > On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:
    > > > 40 characters or so, but capital letters generate codes that have
    > > > more bits turned on resulting in a higher draw on the UART. Many
    > > ^^____________
    > >
    > > (char) 'A' == (char) 'a' & 95;
    > > (char) 'Z' == (char) 'z' & 95;
    > >
    > > He was trying to save bits! Upper case uses less bits, so the BPS can
    > > be higher if your communications channel is bit-limited like the
    > > Micro$oft browser.
    > >
    > Actually, on an RS-232 channel a 1 bit is idle, 0 is active, so null
    > (ASCII 0) is the most active of all characters.

    That is true. That is what I was saying. But what started out as
    a humor attempt is ending up as a "I know more about you do -
    power struggle" with the people here and it is fairly pointless.

    By the way, I don't mean you in the above statement, but rather
    some of the other postings I've seen. Some people just like to
    get that last word in no matter what. ;o)

    Oh well, I guess it's better than reading about the boot-logo
    crap. ;o)

    Hehhe. Take care HPA.

    P.S. Lets kill this "joke" thread everybody... I am filtering
    them out now...

    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
    PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:2.080 seconds]