    SubjectRe: Flexible Console open (really little patch)

    On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > > > As Matti has pointed out, you can have /dev/console sitting on your
    > > > root device for use before devfs is mounted.
    > >
    > > Not if /dev does not exist, the exact problem I ran into with LRP,
    > > which creates /dev/ from /linuxrc.
    >
    > Well, your initrd boot scripts could just create /dev/console for
    > you.

    Not if the disk is (ro) at this point. Anyway: I really hate the idea of
    mounting a disk/filesystem at a not-empty directory. It's as dirty as my
    first suggestion of haveing /etc/console.

    > However, there is a better solution to this: replace the call to
    > open(2) in init/main.c with code that allocates a file and calls
    > chrdev_open() directly. That way, even if /dev/console doesn't exist
    > on a non-devfs system, there are no problems.

    This sounds like a very good idea for me. I don't know the linux
    filesystem code good enought to write this patch - but I would be
    happy if someone else could implement this ...

    - clifford

    PS: My init uses now /etc/console and /etc/initctl instead of the files in
    /dev. So I can make a clean boot without haveing /dev mounted before init
    starts (a boot script mounts it in this case) and I can print nice warning
    messages if the kernel does not have devfs support ...

    Clifford Wolf
    magnet - Internet at Work IRC: efnet / clifford
    Director of System Development http://www.clifford.at/
    e-mail: c.wolf@magnet.at email: god@clifford.at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:3.038 / U:0.140 seconds]