SubjectRe: Linux 2.1.x showstopper list
In article <199808181513.IAA28255@dm.cobaltmicro.com>,
"David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com> writes:
> IPV4 options
> ICMP dest unreach has load limiting issues

> Please specify this more clearly, I believe it is fixed in vger (and
> thus will be in my next sync to Linus) but I can't tell just with this
> explanation alone.

It is not fixed on vger. The problem is that 2.1 uses the destination cache
now to load limit ICMP messages, but dest unreach is send when no suitable
destination entry could be computed. Just adding a new dst_entry for this
would open linux routers to DOS attacks.

A possible fix would be a separate load limit cache for dest unreachs,
similar to what 2.0 did for all ICMPs, but I decided that it was not worth
the effort and too big a change in the code freeze.

A general solution for this is hard because a potential cache will be always
too small on a high performace router.

> TCP state bug
> TCP moving from SYN_SENT to SYN_RECV loses MSS (obscure)

Already fixed in vger.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:1.688 / U:0.236 seconds]